Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
electronic ignition help
07-28-2014, 07:44 AM
electronic ignition help
I'm sick of trying to decide on which electronic ignition to use now. I just want something I can rely on, but no matter what anyone suggests, someone else says it's shit.

I've now reached the 'money no object' stage and am considering the electrex kit as I've used their kit on various bikes with NO problems at all. I've fitted it on a few of my bikes and on friends, friends of friends etc so lots of miles (10k on my old aprilia which i sold to a friend for example).

Anyway, before i put my hand in my pocket i want to read up on the capabilities of the electrex kit (advance etc) and i think there was a write up in jetset recently, but as a new LCGB member I don't have it.

anyone got a copy they are willing to sell, lend or scan for me please?

thanks

Dickie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: electronic ignition help
http://www.granturismo.pwp.blueyonder.co...nition.htm

Like Electrex but Better ,cheaper
07-29-2014, 02:39 PM
No need to go mad. A decent Indian electronic kit from a reputable dealer who checks it over and supplies a decent cdi and regulator should be fine. You can make these regard able if you need and as most people have this set up spares are easy.
07-29-2014, 05:53 PM
agree with Mag, mines an indian electronic, but with Piaggio coils and pick up for reliability, Ducati coil and regulator, and at the minute running a long finned heavy indian flywheel ( ran an AF Ducati light flywheel before that) and an Augusto 6000 advance/retard box. never really had any problems, that's over ten years, and a couple with the Augusto. the plus side, if its built right (good soldering, araldited joints, good sleeving etc.) it should last, and if it goes Bang on the way to /from a rally, someone will have a spare coil/stator to get you going.

Mercedes E class for sale 99 pund o.n.o.
07-29-2014, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 08:47 PM by Ted.)
http://www.mitolambretta.com/product_inf...cts_id=230

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...vtlyGJFTaQ
07-29-2014, 09:18 PM
(07-29-2014 08:44 PM)Ted Wrote:  http://www.mitolambretta.com/product_inf...cts_id=230

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...vtlyGJFTaQ

grazie mille ma non parlo italiano

anyway, it's too late i took Mag's advice as he advocated doing something cheap. I just wanted some reassurance that the cheap stuff isn't any worse tha the dear stuff I guess.

by the way mag, did you work in motech in the 80s? i seem to remember someone called mag working there when I was a yoof.
07-30-2014, 08:57 PM
What is Your Definition of Work Dickie ??? ;P

Yes it was Mag
08-03-2014, 05:28 PM
(07-29-2014 02:39 PM)mag Wrote:  No need to go mad. A decent Indian electronic kit from a reputable dealer who checks it over and supplies a decent cdi and regulator should be fine. You can make these regard able if you need and as most people have this set up spares are easy.

I did this; reputable dealer who purports to check them over before despatch. However, I couldn't believe the standard of the soldering; it was frankly shite. I will reassemble the whole thing before I let it go on any bike of mine.

Once again, I'm shocked by how shit scooter parts are. I'm not surprised you see so many at the side of the road.

What is the advantage of piaggio coils? I may fit them if I can be persuaded that they're distinctly better.
08-03-2014, 06:47 PM
generally speaking, PIAGGIO stators are better quality than Indian stuff, there are 35 year old P2"s still on original stators, no bother. SIP (the german scooter shop) only sell piaggio genuine pick ups and Low Tension coils, I"d use them for parts. the lighting coils will be ok to use. mine is an indian stator, which I took all the coils off, and I had a vespa T5 stator in vgc, so sent it all off to Beedspeed, and they swapped everything over, and rewired and re-soldered everything, then I araldited all the soldered joints to keep vibration on the joint to a minimum, soldered all the spade connectors on, then used two earth straps, a halogen headlight bulb, a casa ignition switch, scooter restorations simple loom, rewired original SX switch , and ducati coil and regulator. had an AF lightened flywheel, but swapped to a heavy flywheel, as it was better for touring, but not as quick off the line. never had any real bother.

Mercedes E class for sale 99 pund o.n.o.
08-21-2014, 07:02 PM
well, I bought an Indian stator and flywheel combination with Italian CDI and regulator.

When i saw the state of the stator and flywheel I couldn't face putting them on a motor I've spent so much time and effort building. They looked like they'd been built by a pissed monkey. So they went back.

Varitronic ordered.