Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
rings and that....
10-18-2014, 12:37 PM
rings and that....
Had T5 out this morning for a blast out in the wind....it was flat as a fart, and has lost its Mojo somewhere along the line. ive deduced its time for the piston rings to be changed , so ordered some this morning.....FORTY FUGGIN QUID!Undecided rings for a P200 are about 7 quid...... everything for a T5 is two or three times the price of P200 stuff.Sad oh well, bullet bit and money payed out...always the same the week before Brid.....

Mercedes E class for sale 99 pund o.n.o.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
RE: rings and that....
took top end off, and there are water droplets and like an oily "mayonnaise" substance , like oil and water mixed together, all over me cylinder head and pistonUndecided I havnt been out in the rain, or washed this scooter recently , so all I can think of is water in the petrol from the petrol station down the road (the last two fill ups have been from there. that could explain the sudden drop in performance (compression was good even with the old rings, no damage to barrel, everything hunky dory in the carb dept.) ill put the new rings on tomorrow and see what its like. the plot thickens.....

10-20-2014, 07:38 PM
I concur ,Water ingress !
10-20-2014, 10:13 PM
There's a good chance of ethanol related issues, ethanol attracts water both in petrol station holding tanks and our own tanks as well as after atomisation when fuel is mixed with air and drawn into the cylinder. check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo
10-21-2014, 05:53 PM
new rings fitted (they were only £38.99 in the end ..Hurrah!) new ducati coil fitted in case it was that, and dowelled the head to the barrel in case it was that (looked a little bit out of line when I took it off), gonna put new petrol in tomorrow and try it . (I know I should change one thing at a time, but I have loads on and 3 days to do it all).....dun dun daahhhhh....

10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
well... gave it 40 minutes at high tickover to bed the rings in (that's all I ever run a motor in to tell the truth. impatient bugger me like) drained a bit petrol out, filled up with some super dooper petrol from a different petrol station, and took it for a blat about. straight up to 65mph strongly, a bit strongly actually, I"ll put the 21 tooth clutch cog back in to get a better cruising/revs ratio out of it. only had it out round the local dual carriage way/streets, but seems way better than before. so? rings? petrol? coil? ferk knows! bit of petrol and rings I'm putting it down to. see ya at the bar!

10-23-2014, 07:04 PM
21 tooth clutch cog fitted (6% higher gear)...bag packed, see yiz at the bar muthafukkaz!Cool

11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
just an update .... scoot ran topper to Brid and back, went off the clock a few times and was great on fuel , 3/4 of a tank to get back, even in that awful wind, and the 28mm carb. down side is, I think me stainless JL has a tiny crack in it AGAIN! tiny cracks turn into big cracks eventually (ahemTongue) so its off to the tame welder in Thornaby for its annual £20 fix of zappiness...... great pipe, but its as robust as walter the softy"s dressing gown. reed valve for next year? I would, but the casings are mint, and I don't want to butcher a mint set of T5 casings....it gans alreet as it is..... fek it..... reedvalve it ....