Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To reed or not to reed
05-28-2015, 12:09 AM
To reed or not to reed
Never done a reed valve before orded me new top end from MB have the option of a reed valve what will it do its a 225 race tour with a 30mm delorto and a big box clubman.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2015, 08:24 AM
RE: To reed or not to reed
with the price of the kit, the reedvalve, and altering/buying another piston, and getting the boost port cut into the barrel, you should have just bought a TS1. with a reed ,more low down power, better fuel economy, no spit back (shouldn't be if set up right) I was toying of putting one on both scooters this winter (vespa and lammy) if I do, I think I"ll go with the mini LML reed on the vespa and go back to 24mm carb, and the LTH on the lammy and use my existing 28 flat slide Kiehin carb.

Mercedes E class for sale 99 pund o.n.o.
05-29-2015, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2015 06:16 PM by dsc scotty.)
RE: To reed or not to reed
The good thing about the new generation bolt on reed manifolds is theyre small and compact and fit under the panels. The best one's by far are the atomic scoots rs type. They need almost no alterations to the cylinder fins to get them to fit, the MB ones need considerable alterations to fit. I've just had a look in my diary and up to date I've done 38 reed conversions including my own and several WWSC. There is considerable power to be gained but the best part is the tractorbility and torque obtained from the addition of a boost or several boost ports. The advantage of using rapido orcast cylinders is the relatively low exhaust port duartion in comparison to ts1 cylinders , this itself give quite an advantage. My advice would be don't just bolt it on it will make it slower, get the piston and barrel modified to suit. If done correctly they are a fantastic, relatively cheap conversion that makes for a great touring set-up.
Just to give you some idea of what can be acheived Nelly from DSC runs a cast , boost ported 200 which with a clubman and 30 Delly run up 18BHP on chiselspeeds Dyno, with a really strong curve. Gary Carrs Vega rolled 11.5BHP this was a Tzr pistoned 130, both scooter really tractorble and easy to ride, except Carrsy's cos your fillings vibrate out at around 6000rpm.