Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 07:52 PM
RE: News from the naughty corner
How's the crank looking !
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2015, 11:12 AM
(11-08-2015 07:52 PM)roy64 Wrote:  How's the crank looking !

MmmmConfused
11-15-2015, 11:55 PM
What do you think caused this Mag???
11-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Not 100% sure, Ted. the mag seals are worn allowing grease and therefore air into the crankcase, but looking at the plug and piston crown it doesn't look weak.

The crankcase wasn't wet with petrol, though there was oil residue there. Considering how hot it must have got I wouldn't be surprised if the petrol evaporated leaving the film of oil.

There was plenty petrol in the tank and it flows well through the tap so I don't think it was starved.

One of the crank weights was rubbing on the oil seal plate, i would imagine that caused a bit of heat.

I wonder if the bore was a little tight still and combined with a slightly weaker mix due to the seals it just got too hot. I'd ragged it from Guisburough past Peterlee, but it seized on a long incline so maybe all those thing together were too much.

Time to fit a thumb choke I think!
11-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Or water cooling
12-13-2015, 09:12 PM
just fitted a thumb (handlebar) choke, more for convienience than to richen up at higher revs, as my carb (kiehin 28) seems to take a while to come off choke, so i can adjust it to "off" gradually. mine is actually a 1950"s ATCO lawnmower throttle i got for nowt, made a bracket, and fitted it to the switch housing screw mounting hole. works champion! had to make a cable up out of an old throttle cable and some solder, worked second go.Big Grin

Mercedes E class for sale 99 pund o.n.o.
12-13-2015, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2015 11:42 PM by Gus.)
(12-13-2015 09:12 PM)Goldeneye Wrote:  just fitted a thumb (handlebar) choke, more for convienience than to richen up at higher revs, as my carb (kiehin 28) seems to take a while to come off choke, so i can adjust it to "off" gradually. mine is actually a 1950"s ATCO lawnmower throttle i got for nowt, made a bracket, and fitted it to the switch housing screw mounting hole. works champion! had to make a cable up out of an old throttle cable and some solder, worked second go.Big Grin

Like the sound of this will have to talk to you about it the next time I see you